In 1933 the Optikotechna company was founded in Prerov, Czechoslovakia. Originally established with the intention of producing a limited range of lenses and condensers, the company quickly developed a reputation for producing a level of quality that was far superior to other manufacturers. Meticulous attention to detail, outstanding quality and encouragement from the market allowed the company to rapidly expand the range of products to include enlargers, composite lenses, binoculars, riflescopes, cameras and slide projectors.
Optikotechna enjoyed a thriving consumer goods business until the company was seized by German forces in 1939. Optikotechna was then forced to immediately cease consumer goods production in order to supply military optical equipment for the German army. From 1939 until the end of the war in may 1945, the company produced nothing other than military optical equipment that included rangefinders, periscopes, binoculars and riflescopes. The Optikotechna logo on this bino was only used in 1945.
At the close of WWII, the company re-focused its efforts on the design, development and production of a wide array of exciting new optical products and in 1946, was renamed, Meopta.