Beautiful Czech Meopta D-6, built in the early 1950's.
Looks like new and probably not issued. The brightess/sharpest 6x30 around. The optics are ok and absolutely free of internal haze or debris. Has reticle on right side and Czech cross sabers military insigna on the front hinge.
Meopta traces its roots back to 1933, when the Optikotechna company was founded in Prerov, Czechoslovakia. Originally established with the intention of producing a limited range of lenses and condensers, the company quickly developed a reputation for producing a level of quality that was far superior to other manufacturers. Meticulous attention to detail, outstanding quality and encouragement from the market allowed the company to rapidly expand the range of products to include enlargers, composite lenses, binoculars, riflescopes, cameras and slide projectors.
Optikotechna enjoyed a thriving consumer goods business until the company was seized by German forces in 1939. Optikotechna was then forced to immediately cease consumer goods production in order to supply military optical equipment for the German army. From 1939 until the end of the war, the company produced nothing other than military optical equipment that included rangefinders, periscopes, binoculars and riflescopes.
At the close of WWII, the company re-focused its efforts on the design, development and production of a wide array of exciting new optical products and in 1946, was renamed, Meopta. The new Meopta brand products quickly established an outstanding reputation in world markets, becoming very highly regarded for their superior performance, remarkable quality and innovative design.
From the late 1940's through 1970, Meopta achieved worldwide recognition and great success, continuously rolling out new, innovative products and technologies, while strictly adhering to the original founding philosophy of building lasting products of exceptional quality and superior performance.
With the advent of the Cold War, Meopta's production was once again shifted primarily toward military products. From 1971 until 1989, over 75% of the company's capacity was allocated to the production of military products for the Warsaw Pact countries.
Finally, in 1992, Meopta became a fully independent, private company and started supplying optical components to major optical companies across the globe. Over the past 15 years, huge investments in both infrastructure and personnel have allowed Meopta to evolve into much more than just an optics manufacturing company. Today, Meopta is not only one of the leading suppliers of a wide variety of premium grade, high performance optics products, but also a leading provider of world class research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly services.