From 1933 and through World War II the management of the Carl Zeiss industrial complex had generally supported the Nazi regime as did most major German industries, although there are examples of personal risk taken in favor of high moral principles. By 1937 the corporate priorities were obviously changing. In Dresden where camera production had been dominant, civilian products and development were gradually discouraged in favor of those products such as bombsights, which met the more immediate goals of the government.
When World War II began in September 1939, there was an air of invincibility in Germany, and in keeping with traditional practice, most Zeiss products and those of other manufacturers in Germany had proudly borne the makers trademark and city of origin of the product. However, by 1941 it became clear that the Allies would be able to identify factories and then bomb targets in Germany. So in February 1942 the German Armaments Ministry assigned three letter code marks to each of those companies engaged in fabricating military hardware. The codes identified the manufacturer and their facility location. Carl Zeiss Jena products employed code marks including "blc", Leica "beh", and so on.
Built in March 1942. It contains no reticule.