Collecting Military Binoculars

Subtitle

Asahi Pentax 6 x 25 WA 1960

 

 

No:  218633

The name "Pentax" was originally a registered trademark of the East German VEB Zeiss Ikon (from "Pentaprism" and "Contax"), which later sold the name "Pentax" to Asahi Optical in 1957. Since then the company has been primarily known for its photographic products, distributed under the name "Asahi Pentax" (equipment was imported to the United States from the 1950s until the mid-1970s by Honeywell Corporation and branded "Honeywell Pentax"). The company was renamed Pentax Corporation in 2002. It was one of the world's largest optical companies, producing still cameras, binoculars, spectacle lenses, and a variety of other optical instruments. In 2004 Pentax had about 6000 employees.

This binocular is based on the 1948 Jupiter design. Since the name Pentax was used, this binocular was produced after 1957, the year that the first "Pentax" camera was made. It has a 11.0 degree wide field.